Required Permits


In the Cariboo Regional District there are three local service areas which benefit from the building inspection function, namely the Central Cariboo (portions of Area D, Area E and Area F, the North Cariboo (a perimeter area surrounding the City of Quesnel), and the South Cariboo (Electoral Areas G, H and L in their entirety).  In order to confirm whether or not you are within these areas, please contact one of our offices noted on the inside cover of this booklet, and have the legal description of your property at hand.

However, it is important for owners and builders to be aware that all construction within the Province of BC is required to comply with the BC Building Code even if the project is being constructed outside of a building inspection service area.

Additionally, if a dwelling is being constructed the provincial Homeowner Protection Act is in force. For further information contact the Homeowner Protection Office at 1-800-407-7757 or on the Internet at

Building Permit

A building permit is required when construction is located within a building inspection area and the work consists of:

  • construction of a new building or an addition to an existing building;*
  • installation of a mobile home
  • construction of a sundeck, if the deck surface is 600 millimeters (twenty-four inches) or higher above grade level, or if the deck is covered;
  • construction of a carport or garage, either attached to a residence, or detached;
  • making structural alterations to any building;
  • moving and/or demolishing any building;
  • changing the use of a building;
  • installing chimneys or wood-burning appliances;
  • installation of or alterations to a plumbing system.


  • a detached ancillary building not exceeding 20 square metres (215 square feet)  in floor area provided
    zoning permits;
  • factory pre-manufactured residential ancillary buildings not exceeding 55m2 in area and one storey in height, if erected for seasonal use only (seasonal means a period of time not exceeding 6 months);
  • low human occupancy type farm buildings less than 600m2 in area when situated on land assessed as a farm;
  • minor alterations or repairs valued at up to $15,000, only if not creating new rooms or spaces in a building, if non-structural and not related to plumbing or foundation perimeter drains;
  • re-roofing or replacing exterior cladding unless structural repairs are required, or insulation is also being replaced or upgraded;
  • decks attached to residential occupancies if the deck surface is less than 600 mm (2 ft) or less above the adjacent ground level;
  • structures other than buildings, unless attached to a building;
  • repair or replacement of a plumbing fixture, valve or faucet, clearing of stoppages, or the repair of leaks.

Permit Procedure

Applications are reviewed by the Planning Services staff for conformance with the zoning bylaw and returned to the Building Inspection Division. Our staff then carries out a detailed plan review and will mark pertinent comments on the plans. One set of these marked plans will be returned to the permit applicant. It is important that the actual builder review these approved drawings prior to construction. 

Provided the proposed scope of work on the building plans meets with all requirements, a building permit will be issued. A building permit fee is due upon issuance of the building permit.

Permit Application

Building /Plumbing permit application forms may be downloaded from the following section, or obtained from any CRD office. The information requested on this application includes: 

  • a complete legal description of the property; 
  • name and address of the owner and builder; 
  • name and address of the designer, and, 
  • the proposed use. 
  • Signatures and approvals from the following authority may also be required on the application form when constructing a new residence:
Homeowner Protection Office
203 - 4555 Kingsway
Burnaby, BC   V5H 4T8
Toll Free: 1-800-407-7757
Fax: (604) 646-7051

Page last modified: October 30, 2018 09:39:01 PDT