Building Permits And Inspections

A building permit is required when construction is located within a building inspection area and the work consists of:

  • construction of a new building or an addition to an existing building;*
  • installation of a mobile home;
  • construction of a sundeck, if the deck surface is 600 millimeters (twenty-four inches) or higher above grade level, or if the deck is covered;
  • construction of a carport or garage, either attached to a residence, or detached;
  • making structural alterations to any building;
  • moving and/or demolishing any building;
  • changing the use of a building;
  • installing chimneys or wood-burning appliances;
  • installation of or alterations to a plumbing system.

* Exceptions

  • a detached ancillary building not exceeding 20 square metres (215 square feet)  in floor area provided zoning permits;
  • factory pre-manufactured residential ancillary buildings not exceeding 55m2 in area and one storey in height, if erected for seasonal use only (seasonal means a period of time not exceeding 6 months);
  • low human occupancy type farm buildings less than 600m2 in area when situated on land assessed as a farm;
  • minor alterations or repairs valued at up to $15,000, only if not creating new rooms or spaces in a building, if non-structural and not related to plumbing or foundation perimeter drains;
  • re-roofing or replacing exterior cladding unless structural repairs are required, or insulation is also being replaced or upgraded;
  • decks attached to a residential occupancy if the deck surface is less than 600 mm (2 ft) or less above the adjacent ground level;
  • structures other than buildings, unless attached to a building;
  • repair or replacement of a plumbing fixture, valve or faucet, clearing of stoppages, or the repair of leaks.

In the Cariboo Regional District, there are three local service areas which benefit from the building inspection function, namely the Central Cariboo (portions of Area D, Area E and Area F, the North Cariboo (a perimeter area surrounding the City of Quesnel), and the South Cariboo (Electoral Areas G, H, and L in their entirety).  In order to confirm whether or not you are within these areas, please contact one of our offices, and have the legal description of your property at hand.

However, it is important for owners and builders to be aware that all construction within the Province of BC is required to comply with the BC Building Code even if the project is being constructed outside of a building inspection service area.

Additionally, if a dwelling is being constructed the provincial Homeowner Protection Act is in force. For further information contact the Homeowner Protection Office at 1-800-407-7757 or on the Internet at


Building permits are only needed for structure larger than 20 square meters. The location and dimensions of the shed must comply with zoning bylaw regulations.

Yes, a building permit is required to build a deck and to rebuild an existing deck. In the following circumstances a permit is not required:

  • the deck is not part of the principal entrance into the dwelling: and
  • the deck is not more than two feet above final grade at any point; and
  • the deck is not covered with a roof; and
  • the deck is not attached to the dwelling; and
  • where an existing deck (previously approved under a building permit) requires only minor repairs.

Permit costs are based on construction values. Please see the table of fees for a more complete description of permit fee charges.

Applications are reviewed by the Planning Services staff for conformance with the zoning bylaw and returned to the Building Inspection Division. Our staff then carries out a detailed plan review and will mark pertinent comments on the plans. One set of these marked plans will be returned to the permit applicant. It is important that the actual builder review these approved drawings prior to construction. 

Provided the proposed scope of work on the building plans meets with all requirements, a building permit will be issued. A building permit fee is due upon issuance of the building permit.

Building /Plumbing permit application forms may be downloaded, or obtained from any CRD office. The information requested on this application includes: 

  • a complete legal description of the property;
  • name and address of the owner and builder;
  • name and address of the designer, and,
  • the proposed use. 
  • Signatures and approvals from the following authority may also be required on the application form when constructing a new residence:

Homeowner Protection Office
203 - 4555 Kingsway
Burnaby, BC   V5H 4T8
Toll Free: 1-800-407-7757
Fax: (604) 646-7051

Processing time depends on the type and complexity of the project. The development services department strives to keep the plan review process for standard buildings to less than 3 weeks providing there are no unexpected delays. Generally, the more complete the application, the quicker the processing time.


Typically, building permits can be denied if the applicant has not submitted complete information such as;

  • application forms not complete
  • less than a full set of drawings,
  • not enough detailed information,  
  • not the required scale,
  • no proof of registration with the Homeowner Protection Office when required,
  • engineering design and documents not provided when required,
  • when proposed use or construction contravenes the British Columbia Building Code, Regional District Bylaws, or other applicable regulations.

Please refer to Building Permits Plans and Inspections document for more detailed information.

Any single story accessory building less than 55 square metres (592 square feet), does not require a conventional footing and foundation wall design as per BCBC 9.15.. An example foundation is included in our Residential Garage / Workshop application drawings hand out.


If your building is occupied and you require an inspection, please complete the required Inspection Request - Occupied Structure form and submit to the building department prior to booking your inspection.


The owner or his or her designate shall give at least two working days’ (48 hours) notice to the Cariboo Regional District when requesting an inspection of the construction of a standard building and shall obtain an inspection and receive a Building Official’s acceptance and approval of the following aspects of work prior to concealing it:

  • after footings forms and reinforcing installed but prior to placing of any concrete, or for Preserved Wood Foundation, after installation and compaction of the granular layer but before the footings are installed,
  • after foundation wall and reinforcing installed but prior to placing concrete,( most projects will require a building location survey at this stage  prior to work proceeding)
  • after installation of the subfloor depressurization rough in for Radon gas mitigation but prior to placing concrete,
  • after removal of formwork from concrete foundations and installation of the perimeter drainage system, frost wall insulation and the application of damp-proofing or after framing of a PWF foundation wall and floor assembly and the application of damp-proofing but prior to backfilling against  any foundation,
  • after framing and sheathing of the building are complete including the installation of the roof membrane, all exterior doors and windows, fire blocking, bracing, chimney, ductwork, plumbing, gas venting and wiring, but before any insulation, drywall or other interior or exterior finish is applied which would conceal such work,
  • After completion of the building drain, sanitary and storm sewers, rough in plumbing including interior water supply and drain, waste and vent piping but before any such plumbing is covered and if any part of a plumbing system is covered before it is inspected and approved it shall be uncovered if the Building Official so directs. When considered necessary, underground building drains, branches, storm drains and sewers shall be retested after the completion and of all backfilling and grading by heavy equipment,
  • after insulation and vapour barrier are installed but before any drywall or interior finish is installed that would conceal such work,
  • during the construction of any masonry fireplace at the smoke chamber stage, a free standing masonry chimney at the thimble stage, before any factory built or site built chimney or fireplace is enclosed by combustible materials and before the chimney cap is placed on a masonry chimney and after the installation of any solid-fuel burning appliance and associated flue pipes and/or chimneys but before use of such equipment,
  • when the building or structure is substantially complete and ready for occupancy (Note: for buildings other than single family residential and residential ancillary, use or occupancy of a building shall not take place prior to approval of a final inspection after construction is complete, unless approved by the Building Official in writing and the building complies with the health and safety requirements of the Building Regulation, the Bylaws or any other statute  applicable for the occupancy of a building), and
  • any other inspections that may be required by the Building Official due to the size and complexity of the work.

The inspection process differs slightly for different types of construction (ie: dwellings vs. garages), (standard vs. complex buildings), for more complete information contact the Building Inspector.

Page last modified: May 22, 2020 12:02:41 PDT