Disaster Recovery

This page provides a summary of recovery information, resources and supports available for residents after a disaster.

Contact the CRD's Recovery Manager at 1-866-759-4977 or recovery@cariboord.ca.


The CRD's post-wildfire 2017 reports are available in the sidebar.

For past order and alert mapping, visit the 2017 Wildfires Evacuation Orders and Alerts Map & Overview or the 2018 Wildfires Evacuation Orders and Alerts Map.


Flood Recovery Information

Disaster Financial Assistance

Disaster Financial Assistance is a provincial program administered by Emergency Management BC to help individuals recover from uninsurable flooding disasters. Please coordinate with your insurance provider to determine if you have existing flood coverage and contact the Province’s Disaster Financial Assistance (DFA) program for uninsurable losses.

More information about DFA:

Contact DFA: Call 1-888-257-4777 to leave a message and request a call back. This number is checked frequently and your call will be returned shortly.

Where to send completed forms:

  • Fax to 250-952-5542
  • Email to dfa@gov.bc.ca
  • Mail to Emergency Management BC, PO Box 9201 Stn Prov Govt, Victoria BC V8W 9J1

Return to top of page


Water Systems

If your well has been flooded, assume that the water in your home is not safe to drink. You will have to disinfect your well before it is safe to use it.

Read the following resources about water systems. If you have further questions, please contact the local environmental health officer (contact information below).

Flooding may cause damage to your sewage disposal field if you use the system before floodwaters have dropped below the distribution trenches in your septic field. Talk to your local environmental health officer before using your septic system after a flood.

Contact the Interior Health Environmental Health Officer:

Sarka Zakova

Return to top of page


Waste Disposal

Before disposing construction and demolition waste materials, and contents of homes and outbuildings, call the CRD Environmental Services department at 250-392-3351 or 1-800-665-1636.

Return to top of page


Road Repairs

If you have questions about road repairs in flood affected areas, please contact the following ministries:

  • Ministry of Transportation: 250 398-4510. Ministry administration staff will take your call and forward the information to the appropriate area road manager.
  • Forest Service Roads (Cariboo-Chilcotin Natural Resource District Engineering Section): 250-398-4345. This number will connect you with FrontCounter BC and you should ask for the District Engineering Section. Or you can email: FLNR.AdminServicesCariboo@gov.bc.ca 

Return to top of page


Mental Health & Wellness

Red Cross - Resource for Mental Health and Well-Being

The Canadian Red Cross has gathered information on how you can prepare emotionally for the stress and disruption of a disaster, as well as tips for taking care of yourself and others. Read their guide to Preparing for and Coping with the Effects of a Disaster.

Red Cross - Guide for Well-Being in Recovery

Read the Red Cross' Guide for Well-Being in Recovery for information on the expected reactions to an extraordinary event and how to deal with the emotional impact of the disaster.

Natural Disaster Health

Visit PreparedBC for information about staying healthy before, during and after natural disasters: www.gov.bc.ca/NaturalDisasterHealth  

Other Mental Health and Wellness Services

To access mental health and wellness services, and for referrals for specific needs and supports, call the following numbers. All are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

  • BC Crisis Line 1-888-353-2273
  • Provincial Suicide Line: 1-800 (SUICIDE) (1-800-784-2433)
  • 24/7 Mental Health Support: 310-6789

The above phone lines are answered by trained volunteers and staff of the Interior Crisis Line Network, a member organization of the BC Crisis Line Association. These contacts provide short-term emotional support to callers and match people with professional help available locally or elsewhere in the province.

Additional mental health resources also available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, including holidays:

KUU-US Crisis Line – Aboriginal crisis line
Visit kuu-uscrisisline.ca for specific adult/elder or child/youth supports.

Northern BC Support/Crisis line


Youth Support Line

1-888-564-8336 www.northernbccrisissuicide.ca

Kids Help Phone 
Confidential support and online resources for children and teens. Professional counselling is available immediately.
Visit: kidshelpphone.ca

Please see the Recovery Information sidebar for more information and contacts.

Return to top of page


Wildfire Recovery

FireSmart Programs & Preparedness Planning

FireSmart & Wildfire Prevention Programs - FireSmart is a national initiative to help property owners and communities understand the ways in which wildfire might threaten structures and property located in, and close to, forested and wildland areas, and the steps individuals and communities can take to reduce the susceptibility of buildings and property.  Click here for information on Wildfire prevention programs and FireSmart. A copy of the FireSmart Homeowner’s Manual is available on the sidebar.

PreparedBC - British Columbia's one-stop shop for disaster readiness information. Depending on the emergency, you and your family could be on your own for several days while first responders manage the aftermath. Sounds daunting, but it doesn't have to be. Our goal is to make emergency readiness easy. 

PreparedBC has everything you need to start getting prepared today. Information includes identifying hazards, preparing your family, home and business and provides various disaster planning guides and resources. Go to https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/preparedbc for links and plans.                                                                                   

Cariboo Regional District Emergency & Protective Services - The CRD Emergency and Protective Services Department provides a range of services and plans including the Community Wildfire Protection Plan. This plan is presented to assist residents, provincial and regional government, and land users to address and coordinate management activities in the interface. The term interface is used to describe areas mixing residential and commercial buildings within heavily forested areas. This regional plan will combine with the community level wildfire planning currently underway. See the main Emergency and Protective Services page to read the full plan and to learn more about current sub-regional plans.

Return to top of page


Red Cross - 2018 Wildfires

Individuals impacted by the 2018 BC Fires should contact Red Cross at 1-800-863-6582 to book an appointment for a confidential, in-person needs assessment. Call centre agents are available Monday to Friday, 9 am to 5 pm PT. Or visit http://www.redcross.ca/how-we-help/current-emergency-responses/2018-british-columbia-fires

Further information on Red Cross programs is below. 

Return to top of page


Cariboo Fire Centre Claims 

Residents should email their inquiries about compensation related to the 2018 wildfires to BCWSClaims2018@gov.bc.ca. Further information will be requested if required.

Residents who do not have access to email should mail in their inquiries to BC Wildfire Service Victoria HQ, 2957 Jutland Road, PO BOX 9502 STN PROV GOVT, Victoria BC, V8W 9C1, CANADA. Please write “Attention Claims” on the envelope.

Claims for compensation will be investigated, and then assessed in accordance with the Wildfire Act, the Wildfire Regulation and/or any other legislation that may apply. These can be viewed online at:

Wildfire Act - http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/ID/freeside/00_04031_01 
Wildfire Regulation - http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/ID/freeside/11_38_2005 

Return to top of page


General Recovery Information

Resources for Households

Residential & Private Land Reclamation & Use Planning

For assistance and resources concerning private land use after fire, several private companies and consultants provide waste removal, environmental assessment, clean up services, and options for land use in the area. Cariboo Regional District municipal services include land use planning services and invasive plant management landowner assistance program

If you have private lands logging questions, please call the sawmill (Licensee) in your community to contact a local log buyer for estimates and information on processes. 

Residential Rebuilding  - Homes & Structures

For Cariboo Regional District residential rebuilding questions and help with locating resources for individual and unique needs on topics such as utilitiesbuilding permits and inspections, debris removal and waste management, or other municipal resources, call 250-392-3351 for direction to departmental contacts for assistance.

Other important links and numbers to know:

BC Building Codes for building and plumbing codes and resources.

Technical Safety BC (was BC Safety Authority) provides information on gas and electric permits as well as finding a contractor.

BC Hydro Electrical Services Centre can be reached centrally at 1-877-520-1355 for pole replacements and new meter installations. For hazard reporting call 1-888-769-3766.

Ministry of Environment provides information about water wells.

Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure webpage lists guidelines and contacts for private driveway developments.

Interior Health Authority issues Williams Lake and 100 Mile House area septic system permits and provides information on repairs and regulations.

Northern Health Authority provides sewer and septic applications, permits and inspections.

Return to top of page


Resources for Businesses

2018 Canada-British Columbia Wildfire Recovery Initiative

The 2018 Canada-British Columbia Wildfires Recovery Initiative will provide up to $5 million to assist agricultural producers with the extraordinary costs incurred to recover from the adverse effects of this year’s wildfires. For information and applications visit HERE.

Farm Business Recovery Advisory Services Program

The Province's Farm Business Recovery Advisory Services Program assists farmers and ranchers to better understand the adverse effects of disasters on their current production and financial situation, enabling them to implement an immediate and long-term recovery plan. Applications are open to any producers impacted by flood or fire.

Cariboo Chilcotin Coast Tourism Association - Remarkable Experiences Program

Remarkable Experiences is a unique opportunity for tourism businesses in our region and along the Gold Rush Trail to enhance and elevate your product design, visitor experience, and online presence.

Cariboo Chilcotin Coast Tourism Association - Emergency Preparedness Pilot Project

The CCCTA’s emergency preparedness pilot project will run from June 2018 until the end of 2018, with the objective of enhancing the resiliency of the region’s tourism operators by producing emergency preparedness plans for tourism operators in the Cariboo Chilcotin Coast region and developing and delivering emergency preparedness workshops to tourism operators throughout the region.

The emergency preparedness plans will be designed around the needs of the individual operators, and the process will include a pre-planning survey, a site visit and planning meeting, and a final meeting to go over the plan and discuss how to implement it. There will also be ongoing support regarding the plans for the length of the program. All tourism operators in the Cariboo Chilcotin Coast regions are eligible for the program, which will work largely on a first come first served basis.

The workshops will be developed in collaboration with Emergency Management BC and will be created based on needs identified during consultation with operators. They will likely be rolling around in Fall 2018.

If there are any questions, comments, or interested parties, please do not hesitate to contact Joshua Chafe, CCCTA's Emergency Preparedness Coordinator. He can be reached at josh@landwithoutlimits.com.

BC Cattlemen's Association

Visit www.cattlemen.bc.ca for information related to agriculture recovery programs and resources.

Guide Outfitters Association of BC

GOABC members are welcome to contact the association via their website any support and assistance they can offer: https://www.goabc.org/

Return to top of page



The CRD does not accept donations and cannot release the names of impacted families or individuals.

Return to top of page

Page last modified: August 14, 2019 16:13:44 PDT