Planning Services facilitates plannedHouse construction picture development within the unincorporated areas of the Cariboo Regional District. The department has long-range and current planning components in its mandate. The long-range planning component includes the research and development of land use policies and regulations. Land use policies are adopted as official community plans, and land use regulations are adopted as zoning bylaws. Rural land use bylaws are an alternative that combine land use policies and regulations.

A major component of the Planning Services department is to provide assistance with land development applications. Staff provide information to the public on all general matters pertaining to land development. Planning Services also includes a drafting component, which maintains a series of over 240 maps covering all major developed areas of the regional district.

The current planning component includes the processing of current development-related applications relating to the following:

Official Community Plans

Official community plans are policy documents intended to provide future direction for land use decisions. Any land use initiative must be consistent with these plans. In the Cariboo Regional District, there are currently seven official community plans:

  1. South Cariboo Area Official Community Plan;
  2. Interlakes Area Official Community Plan;
  3. Lac La Hache Area Official Community Plan;
  4. 150 Mile House Area Official Community Plan;
  5. Quesnel Fringe Area Official Community Plan;
  6. Green Lake & Area Official Community Plan;
  7. Williams Lake Fringe Area Official Community Plan;

It may be necessary to amend an official community plan if your contemplated development is not consistent with one of these plans.


The entire Cariboo Regional District is covered by either a zoning or rural land use bylaw. Development of land must be in accordance with the provisions and regulations of the zoning bylaw. If a change in land use of property is contemplated, a rezoning application may be required. If the land is also within an official community plan area, applications to amend both the official plan and the zoning bylaw may be required.

Check your zoning here or view Bylaws.

To submit a zoning request please email  

Development Permits

Land lying within the area covered by an official community plan or rural land use bylaw may be subject to development permits. These permits relate primarily to the character of development, and can include matters such as exterior design and finishing of buildings, for protection of the natural environment or from hazardous conditions, and for site development matters such as site layout, drainage and servicing.

Development Variance Permits

Zoning bylaws impose uniform regulations on all properties within a defined zone. Features such as topography and lot shape may be unique to certain properties. As a result, planning legislation recognizes that variances may be required on a property-specific basis whereby the applicant seeks relief from the zoning requirements. For example, an embankment may prohibit the construction of a building at the prescribed setback of the zoning bylaw. Relief can be granted by a development variance permit, which could allow construction of the building at a lesser setback than that dictated by the zoning bylaw.

Temporary Permits

The purpose of temporary permits is to allow a response from local government to special temporary needs. The permit takes precedence over uses allowed in a zoning bylaw or a rural land use bylaw and can apply to any temporary use, such as gravel extraction. Conditions can be placed prior to approval or after completion of use. For example, returning the property to the original state. Bonds or Letters of Irrevocable Credit may be held by the CRD to ensure that the conditions agreed upon are completed.

Liquor Licencing

Liquor Licences are issued by the provincial Liquor Control and Licencing Branch (LCLB). However, certain types of liquor licences require a supporting Board resolution for the licence to be approved and issued. The LCLB will direct applicants to their local government when applicable.

If a resolution is needed, a CRD Liquor License application and fees must be submitted to the Planning Department accompanied by a copy of the LCLB Liquor Licence application.

To inquire further or start the process, please contact the LCLB at

Strata Building Conversion

A Strata conversion is the division of an existing building or buildings into two or more strata title units. It does not include a Fee Simple subdivision or a Bare Land Strata subdivision. The resulting Strata Title is a form of ownership in which the unit owners have a share in the title of the property and the common amenities.

Board of Variance

A Board of Variance is a method of seeking relief from criteria established in specified bylaws, reconstruction of a non-conforming building, and structural alteration or addition to a non-conforming building.  Similar to a development variance permit, an application for Board of Variance approval may seek relaxation for siting, dimensions or size of a building from the requirements of a zoning bylaw.  Applications to the Board of Variance must be based on hardship.  You must be able to demonstrate that strict adherence to a regulation would cause hardship.

Provincial Agricultural Land Reserve

If your land is within the Provincial Agricultural Land Reserve (ALR), you cannot subdivide land unless permission in received under the Agricultural Land Commission Act, from the Provincial Agricultural Land Commission. Land use restrictions are also imposed on land located within the ALR. The Cariboo Regional District processes applications to either remove land from the ALR, subdivide or use land for a non-farm use, or for the inclusion of land into the ALR.



Subdivision includes the creation of two or more parcels from one original parcel, as well as adjusting or consolidating existing property lines.

Please ensure your subdivision proposal complies with CRD zoning and OCP designations. Additional requirements by the CRD at subdivision stage may include (but are not limited to): Riparian or Aquatic Habitat Protection Development Permits, Wildfire safety covenants/studies, Geotechnical Hazard Development Permits, and Shoreland Management Policy requirements.

Page last modified: October 30, 2018 09:44:16 PDT